The term of office of the Faculty Council is three years. His tasks and rights are anchored in the Thuringian Higher Education Act:
The Faculty Council decides on matters of research and teaching of fundamental importance. In particular, he is responsible for the following tasks:
- the establishment of principles for the distribution and economic and task-oriented use of funds for research and teaching,
- the decision of the statutes of the University Hospital of Jena, with the exception of the principle and the fee schedule,
- the statement on the fee schedule of the Jena University Hospital,
- the declaration of agreement to the proposals of the executive board of the Jena University Hospital for the principles, the structure and development planning and its updating, as far as important matters of teaching and research are concerned,
- the decision on final candidate list in appointments.